Chuyển đến nội dung chính

At my wife’s company picnic, her boss raised his beer and laughed, “Honestly, your husband is holding you back.” My wife covered her mouth and laughed. “See? I’m not the only one who thinks so.”

 

At my wife’s company picnic, her boss raised his beer and laughed, “Honestly, your husband is holding you back.” My wife covered her mouth and laughed. “See? I’m not the only one who thinks so.” Her gorgeous coworker walked over, took my hand, and asked, “Perfect. So, will you go out with me tonight?” I replied, “I’d be delighted.” My wife immediately jumped to her feet.

Lauren stared at Claire’s hand in mine, then at my face. The laughter had vanished from her eyes, replaced by something too sharp to be ordinary jealousy.

“Claire,” she said. “Let go of him.”

Claire did not. She stood beside me with the calm expression of someone who had already decided how far she was willing to go.

“Why?” Claire asked. “You were laughing when Richard insulted him.”

Richard Mercer lowered his beer and leaned back in his folding chair. He was a broad-shouldered man in his late forties who wore expensive watches to casual events and treated every room as though it belonged to him.

“It was a joke,” he said. “People still understand jokes, don’t they?”

I looked at him. “A joke is usually funny to the person it is about.”

Lauren folded her arms. “Ethan, don’t turn this into a scene.”

That sentence almost made me laugh. She had allowed Richard to spend half the afternoon mocking my consulting work, my old pickup, and the fact that I had taken two years away from corporate life to care for my father before he died.

Claire finally released my hand, but she did not step away. “Seven thirty,” she said. “I’ll text you the address.”

Lauren moved between us. “No, you won’t.”

Claire’s gaze shifted toward her. “You don’t get to humiliate your husband and then decide who is allowed to treat him with respect.”

Richard stood. “That’s enough. We’re here to enjoy ourselves, not discuss anyone’s marriage.”

Claire looked at him. “You started discussing their marriage.”

Richard’s jaw hardened.

Lauren reached for my wrist. “We’re leaving.”

I pulled my hand back. “You can leave.”

Her face changed. “You’re choosing her over your wife?”

“No,” I said. “You made this choice when you laughed.”

For the first time that afternoon, Lauren seemed unable to find a quick answer. Then Claire leaned close enough for only the three of us to hear.

“Before dinner,” she whispered, “there’s something Ethan needs to see.”

Lauren’s reaction was immediate. She grabbed Claire’s wrist so quickly that Claire’s purse slipped from her shoulder and struck the grass.

“What did you bring?” Lauren demanded.

Richard stepped forward. “Lauren.”

She ignored him. Her fingers remained locked around Claire’s wrist until I placed my hand between them.

“Let her go,” I said.

Claire picked up her purse. A corner of a dark blue folder protruded from the open zipper.

Lauren saw it and went pale.

“Claire,” he said quietly, “come speak with me.”

“No.”

Richard took another step, but Claire backed toward me. “Anything you want to say can be said in front of Ethan.”

“This is company business,” he said.

Claire gave a humorless smile. “That is exactly the problem.”

Lauren turned to me. “Ethan, please. Let’s go home. I can explain everything.”

I looked at Claire’s folder. “Seven thirty?”

“Seven thirty.”

I walked away from the table without waiting for Lauren. Behind me, Richard called my name once, but I kept moving toward the parking lot beside the baseball diamond.

I was unlocking my truck when Lauren caught up with me.

“You cannot go with her,” she said.

I turned. “You don’t get to order me around after what happened.”

“You don’t understand Claire.”

“Then help me understand.”

“She is obsessed with ruining people,” Lauren said. “She twists things. She collects private information and makes it look worse than it is.”

“What private information?”

Her hesitation was my answer.

She stepped closer and lowered her voice. “Richard has been mentoring me for a promotion. Claire resents it because she wanted the same position.”

“Is that all?”

“Yes.”

“She will tell you things about me.”

“What things?”

“Things that sound bad without context.”

A cold pressure formed behind my ribs. “Were you sleeping with Richard?”

I had expected anger or immediate denial. Her silence lasted less than two seconds, but it was long enough to rearrange the past year.

“Ethan,” she said, “not here.”

She gripped the door. “Please come home first.”

“I’ll be home later.”

“What if I’m not there?”

I looked at her. “That would be another choice you made.”

As I drove out of the park, I saw Claire in the rearview mirror. She stood alone beside the white tent, holding the blue folder against her chest while Richard watched her from across the grass.

At six forty-five, I sat in the parking lot of a coffee shop in downtown Columbus and considered turning around. I had spent nine years believing that marriage required patience, privacy, and a willingness to forgive humiliations that seemed small in isolation.

Lauren had begun speaking that language months earlier, after Richard selected her for a special strategy group at Halcyon Medical Logistics. She came home later, corrected the way I dressed, and joked that my consulting business was a hobby.

Claire texted the restaurant address at seven. It was a quiet Italian place near the Scioto River, far from the bars where Lauren’s coworkers usually gathered after work.

Come alone. Do not tell Lauren where you are.

At seven twenty-five, I entered the restaurant and found Claire waiting in a back booth. She had changed out of her picnic clothes and wore a simple black dress beneath a gray jacket.

“I wasn’t sure you would come,” she said.

“I almost didn’t.”

I sat across from her. “Was the invitation real?”

Claire looked down at the table. “The respect was real.”

“That was not my question.”

“No,” she said. “It wasn’t only a date.”

Claire folded her hands. “Before I show you anything, I need you to understand why I waited.”

“You knew something about Lauren.”

“I knew pieces. Then I found documents that connected them.”

“Them meaning Lauren and Richard?”

Claire nodded.

I glanced at the folder. “Are they having an affair?”

“I don’t know.”

“I have no photographs, messages, or hotel receipts proving a physical relationship. What I have is worse in a different way.”

She slid the folder across the table.

Inside were copies of vendor agreements, payment schedules, and internal audit notes. Most of it looked like routine corporate paperwork until I saw the name printed at the top of a subcontractor form.

Miller Strategic Solutions.

My company.

Halcyon Medical Logistics had paid my consulting firm eighty-four thousand dollars over six months for compliance analysis and regional vendor reviews.

I had never worked for Halcyon.

“I didn’t receive this money,” I said.

“I know.”

“How?”

Claire removed a second page. It listed an account at Heartland Community Bank ending in numbers I did not recognize.

“The account was opened using your company registration, your tax identification number, and a digital copy of your driver’s license.”

“Who opened it?”

“The online application was submitted from an IP address assigned to the executive office at Halcyon.”

“Richard.”

“Possibly. But the recovery phone number belongs to Lauren.”

Claire continued carefully. “Each payment from Halcyon was followed by transfers into two private accounts. One is connected to Richard’s property company. The other is registered to a trust.”

“What trust?”

“The Lauren Miller Revocable Trust.”

Lauren had asked me to sign estate documents the previous winter. She said they were standard forms recommended by a financial planner at work.

“What were they buying?” I asked.

Claire’s expression remained steady. “That is the question I cannot answer yet.”

“Why was my business used?”

“Because Halcyon needed an outside consultant to certify that several warehouse vendors met federal handling standards. Your company had the right classification codes.”

“But I never certified anything.”

“Someone used your electronic signature.”

I looked down at the pages. Beneath a statement claiming that I had personally reviewed three distribution centers was a signature resembling mine.

“This could put me in prison,” I said.

“Yes.”

I closed the folder. “How did you find this?”

“I work in procurement analytics. Three weeks ago, I noticed repeated payments to a consultant whose reports had no attached work product. I searched the company name and found your website.”

“And you knew I was Lauren’s husband?”

“Yes.”

“Why didn’t you tell me immediately?”

“Because the first time I mentioned the vendor to Lauren, she told Richard before I finished the conversation. My access to the payment system was reduced the next morning.”

I studied her face. “So you copied everything.”

“Everything I could.”

“You committed a crime.”

“I may have violated company policy. Richard may call it theft. But the records involve your identity and potentially fraudulent certifications.”

She reached into her purse and placed a small flash drive on the table.

“This contains the original files, access logs, and emails assigning Lauren to manage the vendor relationship.”

My phone vibrated. Lauren’s name appeared on the screen.

Claire watched me. “Do not answer yet.”

“Why?”

“Because she has called you seventeen times in the last hour, and Richard has called me nine. They know what I took.”

The phone stopped. I declined the call, and a text appeared.

Please come home. I can explain. Do not trust Claire.

I turned the screen toward her.

Claire read it without visible reaction. “Ask Lauren why she changed the beneficiary on her life insurance policy.”

I looked up. “What?”

“Two months ago, she removed you.”

“That is her right.”

“She replaced you with the Lauren Miller Revocable Trust. Richard is the successor trustee.”

Claire leaned forward. “I am not saying they planned to hurt you. I am saying they arranged the money so Richard would control it if Lauren became unavailable.”

“Why would he control my wife’s trust?”

“That is another question I cannot answer.”

“Who else knows?”

“Possibly someone in accounting. I sent a limited report to the audit committee this morning.”

“Then why bring this to me publicly?”

“I did not intend to. I planned to speak with you after the event.”

“Until Richard insulted me.”

Claire’s gaze dropped. “Until Lauren laughed.”

“How long have you disliked my wife?”

“I don’t dislike her,” she said. “I used to admire her.”

“What changed?”

“She asked me to do something I could not justify.”

Claire opened her mouth, but my phone rang again. This time the caller was not Lauren.

It was Detective Aaron Bell of the Columbus Police Department.

I answered.

“Ethan,” he said, “where are you?”

“Downtown.”

“Are you with Claire Bennett?”

I looked at her. “Yes.”

“You need to leave the restaurant.”

“Why?”

Aaron lowered his voice. “Your house was broken into twenty minutes ago. A neighbor saw a man leaving through the back door.”

“Is Lauren there?”

“No. Her car is gone.”

“What was taken?”

“We’re still checking. But there’s something else. The man carried a blue document box.”

“What did he look like?”

“Tall, gray shirt, baseball cap. Your neighbor could not see his face.”

Claire had gone pale. “Ask whether he drove a black Tahoe.”

Aaron paused. “Yes. How did she know?”

“Because Richard drives one,” she said.

We hurried through the kitchen and into the alley.

“Get in,” I said.

Claire hesitated, glancing behind us.

“He already knows we are together.”

We drove toward my house in Worthington without speaking. The city lights gave way to quieter neighborhoods, brick schools, and rows of maples darkening beneath the evening sky.

As I drove, ordinary memories became evidence.

Lauren asking for a copy of my driver’s license because the insurance agent needed it.

Lauren insisting that I activate electronic signatures because paper contracts made my business look outdated.

Together, they formed a method.

Police vehicles were parked along our curb when we arrived. Their lights flashed silently across the lawns and the American flag hanging beside our neighbor’s porch.

Aaron met us near the driveway.

He looked at Claire, then at me. “You two need to tell me what this is about.”

I handed him the folder.

“Where is Lauren?” I asked.

“We have not reached her.”

“She left before officers arrived here.”

Aaron led us inside.

The back door had been forced open. Drawers were pulled from the kitchen cabinets, papers covered the floor of my office, and the external hard drive beside my desk was gone.

My father’s locked document box had also disappeared.

“That box contained his estate papers,” I said.

“Anything related to your company?” Aaron asked.

“Old tax returns. Incorporation documents. My original signature stamps.”

Claire touched the edge of the desk. “They are trying to eliminate anything that could prove the electronic signature was copied.”

Aaron looked at her. “Who do you mean?”

“Richard Mercer and possibly Lauren.”

I called Lauren again. This time she answered.

“Ethan?”

“Where are you?”

“I’m safe.”

“Did Richard break into the house?”

Silence.

“Lauren.”

“I did not know he was going there.”

“So it was Richard.”

“I didn’t say that.”

“You just did.”

Lauren began to cry. “You need to listen to me. Richard is not who you think he is.”

“I think he steals identities and breaks into houses.”

“It started before that.”

“What started?”

“I can’t explain over the phone.”

“You had all afternoon.”

“I was trying to protect you.”

I looked at the overturned drawers in my office. “By using my company to certify warehouses I never visited?”

“How do you know about that?” Lauren whispered.

“Claire showed me.”

“Of course she did.”

“What does that mean?”

“Ethan, Claire is not helping you. She is using you to protect herself.”

“Protect herself from what?” I asked.

Lauren’s voice became urgent. “Ask her who authorized the first payment to Miller Strategic Solutions.”

“Who?” I asked Lauren.

“Claire did.”

Aaron looked from me to Claire. “Is that true?”

“Did you authorize the payment?” I asked.

“Yes,” she said.

Claire remained seated. “I can explain.”

“Everyone can explain tonight.”

“The first invoice came through my approval queue. It had Lauren’s internal code and Richard’s executive authorization. I approved it because the amount was below the review threshold.”

“When did you recognize my company?”

“After the third payment.”

“And you approved two more?”

“Yes.”

“Why?”

Claire’s eyes filled, but her voice stayed controlled. “Because Richard threatened to destroy my brother.”

Aaron leaned forward. “What does your brother have to do with this?”

“He manages one of Halcyon’s contracted warehouses in Dayton. Richard claimed he had evidence that Daniel altered temperature logs for medical shipments.”

“No. But Richard had access to the system. He could make it look true.”

“So you approved fraudulent payments to protect your brother.”

“I approved payments I suspected were fraudulent. Then I began collecting proof.”

“And you waited until tonight to tell me.”

“I planned to tell federal investigators first. But the audit committee forwarded my report to Richard.”

Aaron frowned. “Why would they do that?”

“Because Richard chairs the committee.”

“Lauren said you were using me.”

Claire met my eyes. “At first, I was.”

“I needed you to verify that your company had never performed the work. Without your statement, Richard could claim the reports were legitimate.”

“So the date was a performance.”

“The invitation was a way to get you away from Lauren and Richard.”

“And embarrassing Lauren was convenient.”

“No.” Claire’s voice cracked for the first time. “That part was anger.”

Aaron interrupted. “We need to separate personal history from evidence. Claire, I want the entire sequence, beginning with the first invoice.”

She gave him dates, names, and account numbers while another officer brought in a laptop. We copied the flash drive and sent a secure version to a financial crimes detective.

At ten fifteen, Aaron took a call and looked at me.

“They found Lauren’s car.”

“Where?”

“In the parking garage beneath Halcyon headquarters.”

“Was she in it?”

“No.”

Claire stood. “Richard’s office is on the nineteenth floor.”

“If Lauren is inside that building with him,” she said, “she is not safe.”

“I’m going,” I said.

“Then come with me.”

Twenty minutes later, we stood outside Halcyon’s glass headquarters near Easton. The building was mostly dark, but lights burned on the nineteenth floor.

Aaron and two officers took the elevator while Claire and I waited in the lobby. A security guard watched us from behind the desk.

Claire sat beside me on a leather bench. “You should hate me.”

“I don’t know you well enough.”

“Did Lauren know you were approving the payments?”

“Yes.”

“Did she ask you to?”

“The first time, she said it was a temporary arrangement to correct a vendor classification problem. After I discovered your company was real, she told me Richard had chosen it because no one would question a consultant connected to an employee’s spouse.”

“My wife volunteered me as camouflage.”

Claire looked away. “She said you never paid attention to her work.”

The elevator doors opened.

An officer stepped out. “Mr. Miller, Detective Bell needs you upstairs.”

“Only him,” the officer said.

On the nineteenth floor, the lights in the open office were dim. Aaron stood outside Richard’s corner office, where one glass panel had been shattered.

Lauren sat on the floor near a conference table with a blanket around her shoulders.

I stopped several feet away.

“What happened?” I asked.

“He knew Claire copied the records,” Lauren said. “He wanted me to find out where she stored them.”

Aaron said, “Richard used the service stairwell. Officers are checking the garage and surrounding streets.”

Lauren pulled the blanket tighter. “There was a safe behind one of the wall panels. He took files and cash.”

“Emergency funds. I don’t know how much.”

Claire appeared at the end of the hallway despite the officer’s instruction. When Lauren saw her, fear and fury crossed her face together.

“You brought him here,” Lauren said.

Claire stopped. “You brought all of us here.”

I crouched in front of Lauren. “Tell me the truth now. All of it.”

Then she said, “Richard was not stealing from Halcyon.”

“He was moving money for the company.”

Lauren continued. “Several warehouse vendors were failing federal inspections. If Halcyon lost those contracts, thousands of medical shipments would stop, and the company would collapse.”

“So they created false certifications.”

“Using my identity.”

“Richard chose your company because it already had the correct registration categories. He said the reports would only cover temporary deficiencies.”

“And the money?”

“It was supposed to be returned through consulting retainers.”

“To Richard’s property company and your trust?”

Lauren looked down. “That part was his idea.”

“At first, I thought the trust was protection in case the scheme was exposed. Richard said he could keep our house and savings from being seized.”

She nodded. “The trust included it.”

“You transferred our house?”

“Only my interest,” she said.

“You tried to place it under Richard’s control.”

“I thought he was protecting us.”

Claire laughed once, bitterly. “Richard never protects anyone.”

Lauren turned toward her. “You helped.”

“I was blackmailed.”

“So was I.”

I looked at Lauren. “What did he have on you?”

“Last year, I altered a vendor score to help a small supplier keep its contract. Their owner was a friend from college. I thought I was saving twenty jobs.”

“Was the supplier compliant?”

“No.”

“He said he would report me unless I helped with the certification program.”

Aaron asked, “Do you have proof of the threat?”

“Emails on my personal account. I kept them because I knew someday I might need them.”

Claire stepped closer. “Why did you laugh at Ethan today?”

Lauren wiped her face. “Because Richard was watching me.”

“That is not an answer.”

“He had spent months telling me Ethan was weak. That if I defended him, Richard would know I was becoming unreliable.”

I looked at her. “So you humiliated me to prove loyalty.”

I wanted to believe fear explained everything. It did not explain how easily she had smiled.

Lauren lowered her voice. “Ethan, I never wanted you involved.”

“You used my license, my tax number, and my signature.”

“Richard had copies from the insurance documents. I gave him access to the laptop, but I did not know he would copy your signature stamp.”

“You knew after the first payment.”

“Yes.”

“And you said nothing.”

“I thought I could fix it before you found out.”

“That is what people say when they choose the lie every day.”

Claire stood beside the shattered panel, staring at the empty safe. Then she bent and picked up a piece of paper half hidden beneath a cabinet.

It was a hotel invoice from Denver dated eleven months earlier. The guest name was Daniel Bennett.

Lauren saw the name and whispered, “Oh no.”

Claire turned on her. “What does Daniel have to do with Denver?”

Lauren hesitated. “Richard went to Denver that week.”

Claire stepped toward her. “So did Daniel. He disappeared for two days and told me his phone was stolen.”

Aaron returned.

“They located Richard’s Tahoe,” he said. “Abandoned near the airport.”

“Daniel manages the Dayton warehouse Richard used as leverage,” Claire said. “If Richard met him in Denver, then the blackmail may have been staged.”

Lauren looked at Claire. “Richard once told me he did not need to fabricate evidence against Daniel because Daniel had already agreed to cooperate.”

Claire’s voice became quiet. “Cooperate with what?”

Lauren did not answer.

“Lauren,” I warned.

“He said Daniel was the first person who suggested using Ethan’s company.”

“I heard it once during an argument. Richard was angry and said everyone involved had chosen their price.”

I thought about the way she had approached me at the picnic, the prepared folder, the perfect timing of her invitation.

“Did your brother know who I was?” I asked.

Claire looked at me. “I don’t know.”

“Did he ever mention Miller Strategic Solutions?”

“No.”

“He asked about Lauren’s husband months ago,” she said. “He wanted to know what kind of consulting you did.”

Aaron placed the hotel invoice in an evidence sleeve. “We need to find Daniel.”

Claire called him.

The line rang once, then went to voicemail.

At eleven forty, Aaron instructed us to return to the station. Lauren was taken separately for a formal statement.

Claire and I rode in silence behind a patrol car.

Halfway downtown, my phone received an email from an unknown address.

The subject line read: SHE IS LYING TO YOU.

I opened it.

There was no message, only an attached photograph.

It showed Claire sitting across from Richard in a hotel bar. The date stamp was six weeks earlier.

I handed her the phone.

She stared at the image.

“Where was this taken?” I asked.

“The Hilton near the airport.”

“You met Richard.”

“Yes.”

“You told me he threatened you.”

“He did.”

“Six weeks ago, you were drinking with him.”

“I wasn’t drinking.”

“That is your answer?”

She gripped the phone. “He asked me to meet because he claimed he was ready to turn over evidence against Lauren.”

“Did he?”

“No. He wanted to know what I had found.”

“And you did not mention this.”

“I did not think it mattered.”

I pulled the truck to the side of the road.

“It matters when everyone in this story keeps leaving out the part that makes them look guilty.”

Claire’s voice hardened. “I met him because I was trying to protect my brother.”

“And tonight you met me because you were trying to protect yourself.”

“At first.”

“You keep saying at first as if motives become pure after enough damage.”

She looked out the window.

The unknown sender sent a second email.

This one contained an audio file.

I played it through the truck speakers.

Richard’s voice filled the cab.

“Ethan is predictable,” he said. “Humiliate him publicly, and he will either retreat or overreact.”

Then Claire answered.

“He will not retreat.”

The recording ended.

I turned toward her.

Claire’s face had gone white.

“That conversation did not happen six weeks ago,” she said.

“When?”

“Yesterday.”

The night seemed to close around the truck.

“You planned the picnic.”

“No.”

“You discussed how I would react.”

“Richard asked whether you would believe the documents. I told him you would not retreat once you understood.”

“Why would he want me to believe them?”

Claire looked genuinely frightened now.

“I don’t know.”

A third email arrived.

This one contained only a sentence.

Ask Claire what she promised in exchange for Daniel’s safety.

I showed it to her.

She closed her eyes.

“What did you promise?” I asked.

Claire did not answer.

I waited.

Finally, she said, “You.”

I felt something inside me go completely still.

“What does that mean?”

“Richard wanted you brought into the open. He believed you had something your father left behind.”

“My father?”

“The document box taken from your office.”

“What was in it?”

“I don’t know. Richard thought your father had records connecting Halcyon to an older investigation.”

“My father was an accountant for a regional hospital network.”

“He audited Halcyon’s predecessor company twelve years ago.”

I remembered my father warning me never to work with medical distribution companies. He called them “clean offices built over dirty loading docks.”

At the time, I thought he was speaking generally.

Claire continued. “Richard believed your father copied files before the investigation was closed.”

“So you used the fraudulent payments to force me to search his papers.”

“No. That plan existed before I knew about it.”

“But you promised to bring me in.”

“Yes.”

“By asking me on a date.”

“By showing you the evidence.”

I laughed without humor. “The date was just theater.”

“At first,” she said again.

I opened the truck door.

“Ethan, please.”

“Get out.”

She looked at the empty roadside and then at me.

“I will call a car.”

She stepped out, holding her purse and the blue folder.

Before I drove away, she leaned through the open window.

“Richard wants whatever your father found. Lauren wants to save herself. Daniel may be working with both of them. You have no reason to trust me, but do not trust the person sending those emails either.”

“Why?”

“Because only four people knew about yesterday’s conversation.”

“Who?”

“Richard, me, Lauren—and the man who recorded it.”

“What man?”

Claire’s expression changed.

Before she could answer, headlights appeared behind us.

A black sedan slowed on the shoulder.

Claire stepped away from my truck.

The rear window of the sedan lowered, but I could not see the passenger.

Then a man’s voice called, “Claire, get in.”

She froze.

“Is that Daniel?” I asked.

The sedan’s brake lights glowed red across the pavement.

Claire whispered, “No.”

The passenger door opened.

Aaron had told us Richard’s Tahoe was abandoned near the airport, but he had never said Richard was alone.

Claire backed toward my truck.

The man in the sedan spoke again, this time using my name.

“Ethan, your father did not die from a heart attack.”

Every sound around me seemed to disappear.

I stepped out of the truck.

Claire grabbed my arm. “Do not go near that car.”

The unseen man continued.

“He was preparing to testify. Richard found out, Lauren found the files, and Claire brought you here exactly as she promised.”

Claire shook her head violently. “He is lying.”

“Who are you?” I called.

A hand emerged through the open window and dropped a small object onto the road.

The sedan accelerated away before I could see the license plate.

I walked toward the object despite Claire’s warning.

It was my father’s old brass key, the one he had worn on a chain during the final months of his life.

I had placed it inside the locked document box.

Claire stood behind me, breathing hard.

My phone rang.

The caller ID displayed my own home number.

I answered.

For several seconds, there was only static.

Then Lauren’s voice whispered, “Ethan, do not take that key to the police.”

“Where are you?”

“I’m not at the station anymore.”

I looked at Claire.

“What does the key open?” I asked.

Lauren began crying.

“It opens the place where your father hid the original ledger.”

“What ledger?”

“The one that proves Richard was never the person in charge.”

A door slammed somewhere on her end of the call.

Lauren lowered her voice.

“You need to understand something before Claire tells you her version. Richard did not choose your company because of its registration codes. He chose it because of your last name.”

The call crackled.

“Who is in charge?” I asked.

Lauren whispered a name I had not heard in more than ten years.

Then the line went dead.

Claire stared at me. “What did she say?”

I closed my hand around the brass key.

The name belonged to the only person my father had trusted enough to make executor of his will—the man who had stood beside me at the funeral, helped lower the casket, and disappeared from our lives three weeks later.

My uncle, Thomas Miller.

Before I could answer Claire, my phone lit up with one final message from Lauren.

Do not go home. Thomas is already inside.

I looked down the dark road toward Worthington, then at the key in my palm.

Claire stepped closer. “Ethan, whatever Lauren told you, we need to leave now.”

In the distance, another pair of headlights appeared.

They were moving toward us much too slowly.

I opened the truck door, but before either of us could get inside, the lights stopped fifty yards away.

A figure stepped into the road.

He was older than I remembered, thinner, and walking with a cane.

But even in the darkness, I recognized my uncle.

Thomas raised one hand and smiled as though we were meeting for dinner instead of standing beside an empty highway at midnight.

Then he pointed at Claire and said, “Before you take her anywhere, ask her why your father wrote her name on the final page of the ledger.”

Nhận xét